1. Read a book with purple on the cover: Sweetpea (C J Skuse) – completed
2. Read a book in the same spot the entire time: Einstein (Ned Hartley/Tom Humberstone)
3. Read a book you meant to read last year: The Secret Life of Cows (Rosamund Young)
4. Read an author’s first book: Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis (Wendy Cope)
5. Read a book with a non-human main character: A Black Fox Running (Brian Carter)
6. Pick a book that has five or more words in the title: Daisy Jones and The Six (Tara Jenkins Reid)
7. Read a book and watch the movie adaptation: Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist (Rachel Cohn/David Levithan)
09.16 – I have just read half of Wendy Cope’s Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis. It is a modern poetry collection. They are pretty easy to read and some are quite fun, though as with pretty much all poetry collections, some make no sense to me. I guess it does not really matter.
Yesterday I finished the last 30% of Sweetpea, so I am counting that for the purple on the cover challenge. It is cheating a bit, but does that really matter? Not to me!
I don’t think I will get all these books read by the way, but I will give it a good go. Today I am planning to finish The Secret Life of Cows, Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis and maybe Einstein, which is a graphic novel.
However, my parents are about to turn up, so who knows how much I will actually get read. Might be hardly anything at all.
17.22 – Ok, so my parents came and the day sort of ran away with me. When my folks left I took my daughter to the local swimming pool and met a friend there, so spent my time chatting rather than reading. Almost time to cook, but I will try and finish my poetry book before I have to!
17.52 – I finished Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis and I have to say, it was a fun collection. I really enjoyed the poems! Right, off to feed the ponies, making sure they are ok in this hot weather and will try and finish The Secret Life of Cows after that.
22.05 – I finished The Secret Life of Cows by Rosamund Young as well, so I am feeling pretty accomplished, trying to ignore the fact that I have two bigger books to read as well as a graphic novel and a short novel. I think I can fulfill all the challenges if not with seven different books.
Technically the books I have finished work for the following challenges:
Sweetpea: Purple on the cover/book I meant to read last year
Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis: debut book/book with 5 words in the title/in one place (my sofa!)
The Secret Life of Cows: book I meant to read last year/5 words in the title
So, in theory I have completed 5 of the 7 challenges. If I read Brian Carter’s A Black Fox Running and Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist I will have ‘won’ The Reading Rush.
So I have started A Black Fox Running. I am only 6 pages in! It is a hardback, so I won’t be taking it to bed, which means I will also be starting Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist later tonight.
I am watching episode six of Stranger Things and then I will be off to bed.