This month was the opposite of last month. After a strong reading week at the start, I kind of got lost in other interests and did not read nearly as much as I thought I would.
The last few weeks I have had trouble concentrating on anything and that includes reading! Basically, that meant I chose a lot of lighter reads and read more romance than normal. It made a nice change and it may be that I will read a bit more romance going into September.
I had hoped to read the books that were left on my 20 Books of Summer TBR, but I only read one of those. I hope to read the rest in September. We’ll see.
In the end I finished 12 books in August, which sounds impressive, but one I read mostly in August and a few were under 250 pages.
Only 5 were physical books, there were 2 audio books and 5 e-books, of which 1 was a NetGalley ARC.
I read four romance books, a historical fiction novel, two fantasy novels, two short story collections and three non-fiction books.
Rating-wise it was an ok month with three 6-star books, six 5-star books and three 4-star books. No books I hated, but no new favourites either.
- Tower of Thorns (Juliet Marillier) ★★★★★★☆
- East, West: stories (Salman Rushdie) ★★★★☆☆☆
- Beach Read (Emily Henry) ★★★★☆☆☆
- Nefertiti (Michelle Moran) ★★★★★★☆
- How To Be An Antiracist (Ibram X Kendi) ★★★★★☆☆ (audio)
- A Scot To Remember (Angeline Fortin) ★★★★★★☆
- Feathers (Thor Hanson) ★★★★★☆☆
- Damaged Goods (Talia Hibbert) ★★★★★☆☆
- Just Around Midnight (Jack Hamilton) ★★★★★☆☆ (audio)
- So Sweet (Rebekah Weatherspoon) ★★★★☆☆☆
- Den of Wolves (Juliet Marillier) ★★★★★☆☆
- Broadwater (Jac Shreeves-Lee) ★★★★★☆☆
BOOK OF THE MONTH
I had a few I really enjoyed, but I think I will have to go for the second book in the Blackthorn & Grim series by Juliet Marillier, which is Tower of Thorns. There was something really quite magical about that book. I finished the series with the third book, but the second book was my favourite.
Honorary mention to A Scot To Remember, which was definitely the biggest surprise. That one turned out to be a time travel historical romance and it was quite the fun ride.